What is an HFFS Machine?
An HFFS machine is a packaging machine that can be used to package various food and beverage products into flexible pouches and cartons. This type of machine is also known as a horizontal form, fill, and seal machine. Note that vertical form, fill, and seal (VFFS) machines also exist.
Horizontal form, fill, and seal machines are best for packaging solid products like granola bars whereas vertical form, fill, and seal machines are often used to pack loose products like chips, sugar, coffee, and liquids.
HFFS machines are equipped with various components that work together to ensure that the packaging process is efficient and cost-effective for end-users. These components make HFFS machines versatile and adaptable to a variety of product sizes and shapes. Key components of an HFFS machine include:
1) Forming section: This section is responsible for shaping the product into a pouch or carton.
2) Filling section: This section fills the package with the desired product.
3) Sealing section: This section is responsible for sealing the package. The type of seal will depend on the shape and size of the product being packaged as well as other factors such as environmental conditions, product ingredients, and shelf life needs.
4) Output section: This section transports the packaged product to a pallet or other storage area.
To use an HFFS machine, simply load it with your product and the flexible packaging material. From there, start the machine and it will automatically form, fill, and seal your finished product.
Why Would You Need an HFFS Machine?
The main purpose of HFFS machines is to create flexible packaging for products such as beverages, foods, coffee, pharmaceuticals, detergents, and so on. HFFS machines are used in the food industry to automate the process of making pouches and fillable bottles.
Examples of flexible pouches include sealable food bags, yogurt tubes, squeezable apple sauce pouches with a spout, juice boxes, and pouches with zippers. Because they are flexible, these products take up less space than rigid packaging. In addition, airtight food packaging increases the shelf life of the product by preventing oxidation.
The HFFS Machine can create custom packaging for your products. When paired with a flexible packaging printer, your final product can have custom text, graphics, and barcodes — all printed, formed, filled, and sealed in-house.
Popular HFFS Machines in Canada
There are many HFFS machines available in Canada, each with its own set of features and benefits. Some are designed for foods, while others are ideal for Pharma and cosmetics packaging.
Here are some of the most popular machines on the market:
- Bossar BMS 1.6 — Bossar BMS 1.6 has been designed for applications that require a medium-sized machine with an output of 120 pouches per minute. Featuring both simplex and duplex, the BMS 1.6 forms and fills pouches with up to 1,200 cc of product and create up to 120 pouches per minute.
- Bossar BMS 4.2 — The BMS 4.2 will never let you down offers higher output and larger capacity than the 1.6 and can reach speeds of up to 240 pouches per minute. The Bossar BMS 4.2 is equipped with a duplex and quadruplex forming and filling system, allowing the production of pouches from 80 x 120 mm up to 210 x 300 mm. This HFFS machine is perfect production lines that require high-speed pouch filling.
- Bossar BHS — BHS stands for Bossar High Speed. The BHS series is the most advanced HFFS machine from Bossar designed for Pharma and cosmetics packaging. With no oil or grease needed, this machine requires less time to maintain. It is easy to operate and fast with a speed of up to 300 pouches per minute.
- IMA Ilapak Carrera I-500 -- Considered an entry-level HFFS machine, the Carrera I-500 is a great option for companies that want quality, features, and value. The Carrera I-500 is a sophisticated HFFS machine made in Italy. It is ideal for packaging baked goods, meat and poultry, produce, snacks, and cheese and dairy products.
Printing Flexible Packaging
In addition to the HFFS machine, you'll need a flexible packaging printer. We recommend the Afinia FP-230 flexible packaging press. The Afinia FP-230 creates printed rolls of high-quality flexible packaging in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colours.
The FP-230 prints in full colour at 1600 dpi and can reach print speeds of up to 18m/minute. It is EU and FDA food compliant and supports variable data. With the Afinia FP-230, you can quickly print flexible packaging materials ready for your HFFS machine.
If you're looking for an affordable, reliable, and easy-to-use flexible packaging printer in Canada, the Afinia FP-230 is a great option. DuraFast Label Company sells the Afinia FP-230 flexible packaging press and blank flexible packaging materials. For more information on flexible packaging printing and supplies for HFFS machines, please contact us today.