What is Flexible Packaging?
Sustainability is a major issue for manufacturers and the food industry. Packaging plays a key role in sustainability, and flexible packaging is one of the best ways to reduce waste.
Flexible packaging has been around for ages, evolving from tree bark to paper bags, semi-flexible cardboard, corrugated cardboard, and plastics. Only recently have companies begun to take advantage of this innovative way to package products.
Inkjet-printable flexible packaging is here. It’s a game-changer for the food, coffee and tea, confectionery, cannabis and health and beauty industries.
Flexible Packaging Explained
Flexible packaging is a type of plastic or paper that can be manipulated into many shapes and sizes. Unlike rigid packaging, flexible packaging provides the user with a more convenient way to store items in their home. It also protects its contents by sealing them from light, air, moisture, and other contaminants that may damage the product inside.
Flexible packaging is used in almost all industries for everything from pharmaceuticals to electronics; it's one of the most important innovations in modern-day marketing.
The Benefits of Flexible Packaging
For any type of industry, there is always room for innovation. And in this case, the innovative way to package products turns out to be more eco-friendly than ever before. Flexible packaging has all sorts of benefits for manufacturers, retailers, and consumers alike including:
- Better for the environment -- Less packaging and less waste, requires less water and energy to produce
- Eco-friendly materials available -- Higher biodegradability and compostability
- Improved shelf life for products -- Better for the consumer and manufacturer
- Improved production efficiency -- Less time, materials, and energy required to needed to package goods
- Convenient and lightweight -- Easier for consumers to carry and store
- Less costly than rigid packaging -- Flexible packaging costs less and is more efficient
- Attractive packaging increases product visibility and freshness -- Clear "windows" allow consumers to see the product inside, while zipper seals and other closures ensure freshness
- Creative packaging design possibilities -- Flexible packaging is a great opportunity for companies to connect with their customers in new ways with striking, customized, or seasonal designs that can be printed on demand
Many different industries can benefit from flexible packaging but it's especially useful for items that have a long shelf life or need to be stored in the fridge.
Food manufacturers like food processors, coffee and tea companies, confectioners, and producers of nuts and dried fruit use flexible packaging because they want their products to stay as fresh as possible. The health and beauty industry has increasingly moved toward flexible packaging because it creates a more sanitary environment and allows for better visibility.
Pharmaceutical companies also use flexible packaging to store medicines. Manufacturers and retailers also use flexible packaging to store their goods because it's more efficient and cost-effective.
Types of Flexible Packaging
Flexible packaging comes in many forms including pouches, bags, sleeves, and wraps. These types of packaging are commonly used in the food industry to package items such as chips or cookies, but they can also be applied for a variety of other products:
- Printed roll stock -- Unformed pouch material pre-printed with product information
- Stock bags -- Blank formed bags or pouches
- Pouches -- Easily sealed with resealable zippers
- Stand-up pouches -- Pouches with a flat bottom so they stand up, commonly used for drink pouches and other products
- Flat packets -- Often used for single-use products like medicine or as a protective envelope for fragile items
- Zipper bags -- Clear polyester film with zipper closures and folds
Print Your Own Flexible Packaging
Flexible packaging is the future. It provides a unique and innovative way for companies to stand out on shelves while still providing convenience for consumers, which will lead them to buy more products. Recent innovations allow small manufacturers to print their own flex-packaging on demand. DuraFast Label Company has everything needed including a digital flexible packaging press, high quality flexible packaging films, supplies, and more. Contact us today to learn more.
- Flexible Packing Printers
- HFFS Printable Flexible Packaging
- VFFS Printable Flexible Packaging
- Laminate for Flexible Packaging